Watch Albert preparing this recipe:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9V2A4U55A4
- 1/3 cup Apollo Mistral organic extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large yukon gold potatoes
- 6 large organic eggs
- fine sea salt
- black pepper
- Peel 2 large yukon gold potatoes, rinse them under cold running water and pat them completely dry with a dish cloth, cut each potato into 4 evenly sized quarters, then cut each quarter into 3 evenly sized pieces and thinly slice the potatoes, crack 6 large organic eggs into a large bowl, season them with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper and mix together until well combined
- Heat a good quality nonstick fry pan with a medium heat and add 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, after 2 minutes add the slices of potato and mix them around with the olive oil, mix the potatoes occasionally to ensure that they all cook evenly, after 15 minutes season the potatoes with a generous portion of sea salt and a little freshly cracked black pepper, mix together to to ensure all the seasonings are evenly divided, after cooking the potatoes for 25 to 26 minutes they should be perfectly cooked, turn off the heat and transfer the potatoes into the bowl with the beaten eggs and mix together until well combined
- Using the same pan heat it with a LOW heat (very important) and add the egg and potato mixture into the pan, using a spatula run it through the outer edges of the pan to make sure the tortilla does not stick, you can also give the pan a quick shake here and there to ensure it is not sticking, after 4 minutes place a plate that is bigger than the pan over the pan, put one hand over the plate and with the other flip the pan, slide the uncooked part of the tortilla into the pan and cook for another 4 minutes, using a spatula you want to compact the tortilla from the outer edges to give it that classic rounded edge, after a total cooking time of 8 minutes (4 minutes per side) remove the pan from the heat and transfer the tortilla de patatas into a serving dish, enjoy!
pleased to share the news we received on March 21, 2019:
“Congratulations Apollo Olive Oil has been awarded The Los Angeles International Extra Virgin Olive Oil Award of Excellence given in honor of our 20th Anniversary Celebration. This award is given to producers who have achieved excellence in the production of olive oil and have received a Gold Medal Award or Silver Medal Award in 10 or more Los Angeles International Extra Virgin Olive Oil Competitions.
We are truly grateful to you for your support and want to congratulate you on your dedication and passion to produce high quality oils of outstanding taste, character and complexity. We are honored to have your oils in the Los Angeles International Competition for ten years and more and have done our best to promote and showcase your oils. Apollo Olive Oil has received a Silver Medal or better in all 20 of our competitions – we so appreciate your support.”
Our New Oils Are Available Now
Harvested and milled in December 2018, the new oils are in the bottle and ready early this year. This olive harvest was challenging all over Northern California, with no crop worth picking in many areas. The wide-spread cause seemed to be a late frost that damaged the immature flower buds. Fortunately, most of our hillside orchards escaped the worst, but the harvest costs were significantly higher. Although the price of our oils has been stable for nearly a decade, costs have been steadily increasing for the last 6 years. This year however, we’re compelled to raise the prices 10%. Fortunately, you’ll find that they are still at or below the usual price for high quality, organic extra virgin olive oil.
Even though it was a tough year, we’re thankful that the new oils meet the same excellent quality standard that Apollo is renowned for. In fact, one barrel was so nice, Gianni called it the “Miller’s Favorite” and we added it to the Gold Series. The supplies are very limited, so if you’re interested, be sure to order it early.
A study, recently published in the JAMA Network Open, presents the first randomized clinical study of the MedDiet done in the US. While the MedDiet has long been known to be heart-healthy, the researchers wanted to learn more specifically, why it is healthier. 25,000 women were followed for 12 years, divided into three groups based on how closely they followed the MedDiet. After 12 years the group that followed the MedDiet the closest showed a 28% lower risk of cardiovascular disease. The primary factors for reduced risk were decreased inflammation, better glucose metabolism, and lower weight. Other factors contributing to the better results were lower blood pressure, and lower lipid levels. A great thing about the MedDiet is that it is very easy to follow and very tasty as well.
With Apollo Olive Oil, you can send gifts by entering your good wishes in the message box during the checkout process and we will send your gift with a nicely printed card in our standard 100% recyclable packaging.
Now, in keeping with our Holiday tradition, when you place an order over $100 just enter the SUPERSAVER coupon code for a 15% discount. That’s a perfect way to stock your pantry AND do your holiday shopping.
Our gift to you: A 15% savings PLUS free shipping on any order over $100 by using the coupon code SUPERSAVER.
Good from Today through New Year’s Eve!
Harvest is Here!
Harvest has begun and it will come to a conclusion at the end of December. We blend our oils in January, then we bottle in February and the new oil is available in March.
Harvest is Here
Harvest has begun and it is a busy and exciting time. Many Califonia growers are reporting very low crop levels. Even though olive trees have a tendency to alternate between low and high crop levels year to year, this year is worse than normal. The reason seems to be a warm February followed by a March frost that caused the trees to drop the flowers that turn to fruit. This primarily happened in the valley region. Since we are at a 2000 foot elevation we were not as affected. We are trying hard to not let this act of nature decrease supply or raise prices. We care for our own trees and also buy olives from local farmers and some of them seem to have scraped by. We will not know until harvest is done in December but we are very hopeful.
“The Predimed (Prevencion con Dieta Mediterranea) Study, Based in Spain, has changed the way we look at health benefits of extra virgin olive oil in the Mediterranean Diet. … The groups on the Mediterranean Diet supplemented with extra virgin olive oil and with nuts saw a 30 per cent reduction in rates of heart disease.” From the book,The Olive Oil Diet by Dr. Simon Poole and Judy Ridgway
18th Annual North Yuba Harvest Festival
Once again we are proud to be a vendor at this year’s harvest festival on Saturday, October 6th, 10am to 5pm. It will be held at the Alcouffe Community Center at 9185 Marysville Rd., Oregon House, CA 95962. This is the biggest food and wine event in the North Yuba foothills.
North Yuba has received international recognition as a premium wine and olive oil region with local producers garnering coveted medals at major state, national and international competitions.
There will be over 40 vendors this year, including food stalls offering everything from haute cuisine to hot dogs, arts & crafts, antiques, Farmers Market, coffee bistro, and live musical entertainment. Ample children’s activities guarantee a day of family fun. All proceeds benefit the Alcouffe Community Center.
North Yuba offers a welcome retreat from urban life, we encourage you to check out the lovely AirBnB’s to make this a restful country weekend as well.
Mission San Jose Olive Oil Festival
Saturday & Sunday, October 6 & 7, 2018, 10 am – 5 pm
Join Gianni and Diana Stefanini, owners and millers of Apollo Olive Oil, in the Dominican Sisters of MSJ Olive Grove, behind the Historic Old Mission San Jose!
Many olive oil vendors, live music, arts and crafts, great food, and activities for the kids. This is the premier event in the Mission San Jose district!
Apollo Olive Oils are now triple certified!
Besides our two long-held certifications – from CCOF, that our orchards, mill, and oils are all managed organically, and from COOC, that our olive oils are really Extra Virgin, by both analysis and taste – Apollo Olive Oil easily passed the nutrient analyses and met all the newly published R.A.W. Standards as well.
You can rest assured that Apollo Olive Oil is organic, extra virgin AND:
“Real” – That is, safe from many angles – non-GMO, organic, our production standards and practices, the oil analysis, and with the harvest and milling date on the label (so you can always know the oil’s ‘best by date’ – two years from production for all olive oils).
“Alive” – That is, with a high amount of bio-available enzymes in the currently available oils.
“Whole” – That is, minimally processed (never cooked, never warmer than 80° F), organic and with a high nutrient-per-calorie density (how “rich” it is in various vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients).